Monday, September 26, 2011

Current Projects

See? I wasn't kidding when I said my posting would be intermittent.

So it's been a while, and I still haven't finished the linen Tudor gown. I did get the eyelets in the bodice and try it on, and the hemp cording gives me a lovely softly curved, but smooth, line. All I have to do now is attach the skirt and hem it.

The only other big sewing I did this summer was to make a modern cocktail dress out of a gorgeous magenta and gold silk sari. I really had to struggle to allow myself to use that fabric for something that wasn't a costume. Am I the only one who has trouble with that?

The main thing I'm working on is the Italian Lady's Underpinnings patterns. At least, that's what I'm calling them, but almost all the pieces can also be used for English or other European costume. There's a camicia, or chemise, a gored petticoat, a rope stiffened petticoat, an underbodice that can be made of stiff fabric or corded, a linen partlet, and a tie-on pocket.

The patterns are drafted, graded, and are in the hands of a group of ladies who are testing them for me. Meanwhile, I'm hard at work on the illustrations for the instructions. I'm using a new tool, Adobe Illustrator, this time around, and it goes much faster. I'm hopeful that this first Italian package will be ready far sooner than usual.


  1. Yay!!! I'm so excited! That looks cool.

  2. My friend Kate and I finished (for the most part) our first court gowns. We wore them to the Minnesota Renaissance Faire over Labor Day. I'd like to send you a picture...we were asked to join the Court for one of the day's parades, so I say they came out well.

  3. I for one am looking forward to this pattern. I'm decent at sewing, but after 22 years, I'll have to admit I'm hopeless at drafting my own patterns!